Organization: DAI Global
Closing date: 18 Jun 2019
Start date: June 2019
End date: March 2023
Status: Full time
Prosperity Fund Mexico – Energy Strand Funded by the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO), the objective of the Energy Strand is to transform Mexico’s economy through energy-driven low-carbon growth, poverty reduction and generation of new market opportunities. The Strand aims to create this more sustainable and inclusive energy sector by creating a larger pipeline of skilled, internationally certified female and male workers, market-ready female and male-owned small and medium enterprises (SMEs), connected, robust local supply chains, and technically proficient female and male regulators who uphold international standards.
DAI seeks a driven and innovative professional to lead Intervention 1 – Targeted Workforce Skills Development and Certification of DAI’s Mexico Energy Strand Programme.
The postholder will bring knowledge of proven workforce assessment methodologies implemented across the Mexican and UK energy sectors. She/he will lead analyses to identify: current and future cross-sector skills gaps; structural labour market challenges; barriers to social inclusion across low-skilled, medium-skilled and high-skilled workforce positions; and gaps in local training institution’s capabilities. These assessment results will inform design and implementation of workforce development programmes geared at creating a more resilient, flexible Mexican energy sector workforce.
Responsibilities will include:
Technical Delivery and Data Analytics
Lead workforce gap assessment: lead study design; oversee survey firm activities; interview industry experts; conduct in-person Technical, Vocational, Education and Training (TVET) institution assessments; identify transferable skills development opportunities; and collaborate with the Workforce Analyst to author the final workforce competitiveness report
Collaborate with the Monitoring, Reporting, Evaluation and Learning (MREL) Manager, Team Leader, and Workforce Analyst to design and deploy a survey to map the high-level availability and quality of TVET and certification programmes in the priority regions: 1) Mexico City; 2) Tabasco and neighbour states; 3) Jalisco and neighbour states
Work with the MREL Manager to conduct in-person interviews and in-depth questionnaires with leaders at selected TVETs, certification institutions, multi-national companies (MNCs), and regulatory bodies to cultivate a deeper understanding of existing energy sector course offerings, availability of international curriculum and certifications, and presence/absence of partnerships with international educational institutions, donors, private sector, and/or government
Develop strong partnerships and strategic alliances with local and international education and training providers in priority states and countries
Pilot International Certification Schemes: collaborate with the workforce development partner and the Workforce Analyst to design a portfolio of technical energy sector skills-specific and cross-sectoral workforce training programmes that are internationally-certified, gender-sensitive, and address existing skills gaps
In close collaboration with the MREL Manager, monitor the effectiveness of the programme’s Workforce Intervention (Intervention 1), and make recommendations for programme improvements and adaptations
- A minimum of eight years’ work experience in a similar position in Mexico (e.g. workforce development, academic institution focused on technical skills development, international trainings and qualification organisation, energy sector, government, international development)
- Excellent organisational skills, proactivity and the ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- A team player with a positive “can do” attitude that reflects DAI’s core principals of integrity, responsibility, excellence and global citizenship
- Sound knowledge of project management tools
- Numerate with a high level of attention to detail
- Excellent communications and writing skills
- Fluency in English and Spanish (written and spoken)
- Knowledge of the Mexican energy sector
- Advanced level of MS Office
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. Political Science, Business Management, Economics, Engineering, etc.); Graduate degree (MA, MBA, PhD) preferred
- Compliance with DAI ethics, safeguarding and security policies and procedures
- Availability to take on this assignment in a short notice
Reporting and support
The post holder will be supported and line managed by the Team Leader.
Tuesday, 18 June (by 17:59 Mexico City time)
Please note that all profiles are indicative only and therefore subject to change.
How to apply:
Interested applicants please use the following link to apply directly to DAI: